The Durham Victoria County History Trust was established in 1993 to raise money for the renewal of the county history, which had been suspended in 1928 after the publication of three volumes. A county editor, Gill Cookson, was appointed in 1999 to start work on volume 4, a History of Darlington. In 2000 she was joined by an assistant editor, Christine Newman. Volume 4 was published in 2005, by which time work had started on volume 5, A History of Sunderland, which has now been published (2015). In the meantime three paperback volumes have been published: The Townscape of Darlington (2003), Sunderland and its Origins (2007) and Sunderland: Building a City (2010). See here for more details on our publications.
Funding the VCH has always been the principal objective of the Trust. And that has become increasingly difficult. We receive generous support from subscribers and have been the beneficiaries of substantial donations and backing from individuals and organisations over the years, especially from Darlington Borough Council, Sunderland City Council, The University of Durham, the University of Sunderland, the University of Teesside, the Newcastle Society of Antiquaries, and the Northern Rock Foundation. We were helped after 2004 by Heritage Lottery Funding, but when that expired we were unable to continue the employment of an editor and assistant. Thanks to the generosity of the Marc Fitch Fund we were able to re-engage our editors as consultants, and published volume 5. But funding thereafter remains a concern. Contributions, eligible for gift aid, are gratefully received.
If you wish to make a donation or have any queries about the trust, please contact us.
Durham Victoria County History Trust
Registered Charity Number 1026167
Our Patrons are: The Lord Lieutenant of County Durham; the Bishop of Durham; the Lord Barnard; Kate Adie, O.B.E.; Sir Thomas Allen, C.B.E.; Sir Paul Nicholson KCVO, KStJ